The Little Nell is fortunate to operate in the uniquely stunning Roaring Fork Valley. With this privilege comes and increasing sense of responsibility to preserve our natural environment and protect it from the pressures we place upon it.
To that end, we have made deliberate changes in how we operate the hotel, being very careful not to compromise any sense of
luxury or quality in our service. These efforts were recognized by the Colorado Hotel and Lodging Association's 2011 Hospitality Green Award.
Some of our initiatives taken to date are listed below.
- ISO 14001 Certification, unique among five-star hotels.
- Implementation of an energy-efficiency program that requires energy
efficient lighting throughout the hotel and reduces pool temperatures, fuel
consumption and the use of unnecessary equipment.
- Replacement of all three boilers, reducing CO2 emissions by 300 tons each
year. This $600,000 investment will be recovered in 6-7 years.
- Installation of a 5,000-watt solar panel system to provide electricity for the 2,500-square-foot Paepcke Suite
- Participation in the Eco-Luxe program, which invites guests and employees to conserve resources and contribute to the Environment Foundation, an organization that funds conservation initiatives in the Roaring Fork Valley.
- Commitment to locally-sourced agriculture. Element 47 sources more than
50 percent of its fruits and vegetables locally in the summer and 15 percent
in the winter. We serve hormone-free Wagyu beef locally grown at Emma
Farms, all natural, nitrate-free pork from Niman Ranch and cage-free, allnatural
- Participation in the Clean the World Recycling Program, which sends our
gently used soap products to be sanitized and delivered to impoverished
people around the world.
- Use of environmentally friendly cleaning products from Clean Environment Company and Clair Green.
- Ongoing exploration of the use of supplementary solar, hydro and wind power to provide alternate sources
of energy to the hotel.
The Little Nell strives to be active and innovative in launching sustainable practices throughout the hotel.
Our goal is to be an industry leader in environmental education, stewardship and social responsibility.